This is definitely our family's most-requested pasta sauce. I realize that it's supposed to be Fettuccini Alfredo or Spaghetti Carbonara, but when all I have is macaroni or bowties, they do just fine...
It originally came from the Recipes from the Heart Cookbook from Pampered Chef, but it's been adapted a bit since then. It is very fast. It can be made on the stove if you choose, just be sure to keep the heat low.
Serves 6 to 8
The sauce can be finished while the water heats and the noodles cook
1 pound pasta
1 1/2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons light cream cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1) Cook 1 pound of pasta, any shape except the very small. Meanwhile...
2) Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or margarine in the microwave. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and 2 tablespoons of flour.
3) Measure 2 cups of milk and begin stirring into the butter a little at a time to prevent lumps. A whisk is handy here!
4) Microwave for two minutes, then stir. Microwave for one minute, then stir. Microwave for a minute at a time, stirring in between, until milk mixture is thick. This should only take four minutes or so total.
5) Add 3 tablespoons of light cream cheese. (no fat and regular work well also.) Stir well, then add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
6) Taste for the correct amount of garlic sauce and add more if you like. Sprinkle on a bit of pepper and parsley if you choose. Add Bacon bits or cooked non-meat 'bacon' strips, crumbled, to make Carbonara.
That's it! Fast, easy and simple!